I always have to have a list of expectations for myself so I do not forget what I have told each class. When I do group work I have a folder for each group with their responsibilities already written out. They are able to refer to this at any time.
With a research project attendance is always an issue. The student will be expected to research on their own time when they return. I am also considering writing up a contract for the parents and the students explaining this and having tangible evidence that they understand the expectations.
Grading on projects can be very subjective. A rubric makes it easier but their can be fine lines from one grade to another. When giving a project I write out the grade for then and the reasoning, if they have questions about why the received certain points they can come on their own time and talk to me. I have been known to change a grade with a good enough reason from the student, especially if they present evidence to prove their case.
One of the first things that I do with the students is to explain what it is that I expect. I make it a point to point out non-examples as well as examples at this point. It is often difficult for the studnets to understand what you are looking for. I also think that it is important to identify how much class time is available and help them to begin their won routines. this is aided throught creating groups and estableishing roles for each group member. Group size is another thing to consider when implementing groups. It is necessary that each member be involved throughout the entire project, which occurs with smaller groups.
I agree about attendance and projects. I did a simple one last year with research and went to the library 2 days. Most of them got the work done but those that didn't weren't driven enough to do their own work outside of class.
I guess another thing to consider is that I would want them to be responisble for getting work done on their own. However, I also want to give them enough direction so that students can rely on themselves and each other rather than me so much.
Finding a way to introduce the project to the students in a manner that makes them interested is very important. To do this they need to see a good visual model and the teacher needs to be enthusiastic when they are presenting the lesson. Also, the teacher should inform the students of real world application of what they are doing.
Students being absent during projects is a big concern of mine. I want to do projects in the classroom, but I have had trouble being able to find time for students to make up the projects. By having them use Google Docs, I can have them send it to me one time and then they can work on their own and it will continually update the one they have sent me.
Upon completing this course I have learned many new ways to manage students progress. I plan on implementing peer assessments and student assessments continually throughout the projects now. I have not done this in the past and I believe this will keep my students more engaged in the learning and allow them to feel more ownership of the project.
I think that having students have "self direction" is one of the hardest things in the classroom. When I am right there with them they might work but when I am working with other groups they do not always work on their own. I hope that creating the timeline together will let them know where they should be!
Also, attendance will be a challenge because you cannot have them work on their own but other students might say "that's not fair he gets the same grade but wasn't here the whole time!"
I also think that creating presentations on the computer in general will be tough. The first time that we do a powerpoint presentation I will give a tutorial to go over the basics. Another teacher suggested having the template on a flash drive and putting it on their computer.
To introduce my project I plan on giving students a newsletter that explains the power point I want them to create. It breaks down every slide, so they shouldn't have a problem getting started. I also plan on giving them the rubric so they will understand the grading process, plus I will give them the rubric. I think these things will be a strong beginning to understand what is expected of them.
I think the block schedule really gives ample time for students to complete the power point. I really prefer having the wireless carts in my room. The computers are ready as soon as students arrive and they can work up until a few minutes before the bell rings.
My students will be working with a partner to complete their power point. I think this is a great group size. Less conflict. Also, they will be sharing the same presentation, not breaking it into pieces. I find that when you do that, someone is absent, doesn't do their part, etc. I think working with a partner makes them more responsible.
I will explian the project to the students and what is expected from them. Assisstance will be give by the para professionals ans teacher to complete the project. Time will have to be adjusted as required.
Timing and transitions are extremely important to the success of the student and the task at hand. Rules and regulations must be set to ensure timelines are met without damaging the quality of the final product. This can be done by ensuring the understanding of what is expected is clear.
Collaboration with groups is a great way to help students understand what is expected from peer groups. This also provide an opportunity for brainstorming for presentation ideas.
The grading process can be simplified by using a a specified rubric that will allow the students to be aware of what is expected and how they would be graded.
We have 49 minute classes, so I can imagine that as I go I will have to adjust what we do each day. I will have clear expectations as to what I want them to accomplish each day. Students that are absent will either have some type of assignment that will do to replace what they missed, or they will need their group to catch them up.
Since there are six types of writing they will be broken up into six groups. In my ESl classes this will put 2-3 per group and in my regular classes there will be about 5 per group. They will have a checklist to monitor their behavior and how they are helping the group and I will be walking around asking questions about their learning.
Materials will be a challenge as we do not have this technology to use in our classrooms each day. I think if I have the macbooks for a couple days, use the computer lab a couple days, and take advantage of the library computers it should work. It may just need to be stretched over a period of time to get the project accomplished.
Communicating about the project is so important at the begining. If the kids are confused at the start the project will be very hard for everyon involved. If you put in enough time and effort in planning the project it will be better for all invloved.
Attendance for my kids is always an issue. I will have to work on ideas for the kids that have to work alone while their partner is out, as well as some type of makeup work for the student who was out.
Group size can also be an issue. If there are too many kids in a group it always ends up with one or two kids doing all the work while the others just kid around. However, due to limited access to computers, I cannot have to many froups of 2 or 3.
Explaining the project and your expectations for them is key. Communicating the project guidelines and empowering them to take responsibility of their project will help the project flow allowing a more student centered classroom to emerge.
This past year I sent home a note to the parents that was supposed to get signed and returned stating the expectations of the project we were working on in science. Most of the notes got signed, however there were a few that the students neglected to return. While I attempted to send another note home concerning the project, when the child failed for the six weeks (the project was their six weeks grade) the parent called and when I showed copies of both notes they were upset that they never got the notes.
Communication is important, I am going to start emailing notes home to parents this year, not just sending them with the students as well as mailing them.
Attendance is also key. If someone in the group is not there the group can fall behind. They have to have copies of everything in case someone isn't there, so the project can continue. This allows for the others to be successful and the one that is absent to catch up when they return, or continue at home if the discuss the project by email/phone.
The project introduction is important for me because is the way I am going to communicate to the parents what I want them to do and in what way they can help their child to start reading. This is an important part in which I introduce the bilingual program because some parents do not understand that the students must to begin reading in their primary language to serve as foundation for reading in English.
The parent’s collaboration is very important because they reinforce at home what they learn in the school and in this way they contribute with their child’s success.
As most of the children do not have computer at home they have 20 minutes in the classroom to work in Waterford that is a wonderful program to teach literacy in English, provide assessments, activities for acceleration and the teacher can see the student progress and the scores that they got. Also, extra time is provided to explore in other sites like starfall.com, and learning.com
Introducing expectations at the onset of the project is number one. Students have to know what they are to do and how they are to do it. Also letting parents/guardians know what is expected of their child will ensure no confusion when final projects are due and will encourage parents to take an active roll in their child’s work.
Collaboration is sometimes and issue. Groups have to be observed and some form for accountability of responsibilities would be helpful. Sometimes you have students who want to be the “leader” and others that will let them. In other words one or two do all the work. Assigning tasks or a peer-evaluation sheet might keep the students on task and working as a group.
The only other issue I was concerned with was the availability of technology. Laptops are not always available and the connections to the Internet are not always reliable. This can cause frustration for the students and the teacher. The improvement of our campuses and technology hopefully will eliminate these problems.
* Grading- My project does not evolve group work but my students will be collaborating/peer reviewing. Each member will be graded on their effort to provide timely and complete comments to their lab group members.
If you do have a group project in mind, I believe allowing the students to choose pre-defined roles is the best way to model professional team structures. Each member will be graded based on the specific rubric associated with her role. If members want to step out of their role to help a team member that is ok. Like my drill sergeant used to say, 'You can delegate authority but not responsibility'.
Timing can by be the key to the success of a lesson or the downfall of a lesson. If you feel rushed, then you lose the important information you planned on sharing, all for the sake of time. I think that this happens to many of us throughout the year. Planning ahead and allowing for "unplanned" interruptions will allow me to get the most out of the lesson.
I am happy to say that our campus is finally getting projectors and other technology resources for next school year. I really like the idea of being able to incorporate videos and web browsing into some of my lessons. I also like the idea of being able to have guests. This seems attainable this year because we will not be switching. I can schedule someone for a short time instead of trying to fit them in all day.
The idea of a class blog really opens up being able to collaborate. My students will be able to collaborate with each other as well as other classrooms on campus or even somewhere else in the district or beyond. Having the ability to edit the blog is also appealing to me so I can keep it "clean".
The teacher can begin communication about the project by discussing it in the classroom. Then send the brochure about project based learning home for parents and students to read together.
Collaboration
Student will collaborate through out the project in small groups, and through bogging on the teacher project created site.
Grading
Students will be graded using many different tools. They will be graded on how much they use the technology provided and how they respond. The teacher will assess how well they work in groups together. Student will also assess each other using a form that will be provided.
communicating the project: expectations/key tasks/responsibilities
+ i have developed a project checklist to promote self-montioring
collaboration: managing and monitoring groups
+ i assign each person a task. for example, pairs of students will make powerpoint presentations. since only one person can type, the other person will be responsible for checking the presentation guidelines to ensure all guidelines are met. this person will also write down the website addresses used in research to make a webliography, and is the pair liason to me. this way, monitoring is the responsibility of the students and i can help those with technological problems.
materials: guests
+ i want to invite a community member to speak to the class to give them a personal perspective
Project checklists would be good for completion of projects. They will help students monitor and students can clearly see each step they should be working on.
As far as group work and one or two students doing all the work. I would assign job tasks so each student would be responsible for a different task.
When presenting a new project for elementary age students it is important to have an example of the end product and clear step by step directions on how they will accomplish their task. I've learned that I need help the students take ownership of their work by giving them more responsibility in their learning. Providing them with the proper tools such as checklists, journals and access to appropriate websites will help them think for themselves.
Students must have clear concise directions in order to meet the objectives of the unit. If students are able to follow simple, easy to read instuctions, they will feel more comfortable about reaching the goal or objective.
Well, I think there are several items that can have an impact. CFQ's are a great way to start your unit. You can get your studtent's attention right from the beginning. I believe assessments during the project are needed to make sure the project it complete. Checklist can be very effective in this process of the project. Finally, I like to end with a KWHL. I believe the "How" is important especially when you are introducing new technology.
I believe that group work can be very beneficial in assisting students to stay on task and help trouble shoot any problems they may encounter while progressing through the unit.
I still need to flesh out some areas & additional progress in my own technology knowledge and skills is still critical to completing this project to my satisfaction. Grading will have to evolve from paper/pencil assignments to including more focus on 21st century skill, self direction & group work over time (as students progress).
I always have to have a list of expectations for myself so I do not forget what I have told each class. When I do group work I have a folder for each group with their responsibilities already written out. They are able to refer to this at any time.
ReplyDeleteWith a research project attendance is always an issue. The student will be expected to research on their own time when they return. I am also considering writing up a contract for the parents and the students explaining this and having tangible evidence that they understand the expectations.
Grading on projects can be very subjective. A rubric makes it easier but their can be fine lines from one grade to another. When giving a project I write out the grade for then and the reasoning, if they have questions about why the received certain points they can come on their own time and talk to me. I have been known to change a grade with a good enough reason from the student, especially if they present evidence to prove their case.
One of the first things that I do with the students is to explain what it is that I expect. I make it a point to point out non-examples as well as examples at this point. It is often difficult for the studnets to understand what you are looking for. I also think that it is important to identify how much class time is available and help them to begin their won routines. this is aided throught creating groups and estableishing roles for each group member. Group size is another thing to consider when implementing groups. It is necessary that each member be involved throughout the entire project, which occurs with smaller groups.
ReplyDeleteI agree about attendance and projects. I did a simple one last year with research and went to the library 2 days. Most of them got the work done but those that didn't weren't driven enough to do their own work outside of class.
ReplyDeleteI guess another thing to consider is that I would want them to be responisble for getting work done on their own. However, I also want to give them enough direction so that students can rely on themselves and each other rather than me so much.
Finding a way to introduce the project to the students in a manner that makes them interested is very important. To do this they need to see a good visual model and the teacher needs to be enthusiastic when they are presenting the lesson. Also, the teacher should inform the students of real world application of what they are doing.
ReplyDeleteStudents being absent during projects is a big concern of mine. I want to do projects in the classroom, but I have had trouble being able to find time for students to make up the projects. By having them use Google Docs, I can have them send it to me one time and then they can work on their own and it will continually update the one they have sent me.
Upon completing this course I have learned many new ways to manage students progress. I plan on implementing peer assessments and student assessments continually throughout the projects now. I have not done this in the past and I believe this will keep my students more engaged in the learning and allow them to feel more ownership of the project.
I don't think equipment availability will be an issue because the library is available as well as a separate computer lab.
ReplyDeleteI think that having students have "self direction" is one of the hardest things in the classroom. When I am right there with them they might work but when I am working with other groups they do not always work on their own. I hope that creating the timeline together will let them know where they should be!
ReplyDeleteAlso, attendance will be a challenge because you cannot have them work on their own but other students might say "that's not fair he gets the same grade but wasn't here the whole time!"
I also think that creating presentations on the computer in general will be tough. The first time that we do a powerpoint presentation I will give a tutorial to go over the basics. Another teacher suggested having the template on a flash drive and putting it on their computer.
To introduce my project I plan on giving students a newsletter that explains the power point I want them to create. It breaks down every slide, so they shouldn't have a problem getting started. I also plan on giving them the rubric so they will understand the grading process, plus I will give them the rubric. I think these things will be a strong beginning to understand what is expected of them.
ReplyDeleteI think the block schedule really gives ample time for students to complete the power point. I really prefer having the wireless carts in my room. The computers are ready as soon as students arrive and they can work up until a few minutes before the bell rings.
My students will be working with a partner to complete their power point. I think this is a great group size. Less conflict. Also, they will be sharing the same presentation, not breaking it into pieces. I find that when you do that, someone is absent, doesn't do their part, etc. I think working with a partner makes them more responsible.
I will explian the project to the students and what is expected from them. Assisstance will be give by the para professionals ans teacher to complete the project. Time will have to be adjusted as required.
ReplyDeleteCommunicating the student expectations is the fundamental task.
ReplyDeleteTiming and transitions are extremely important to the success of the student and the task at hand. Rules and regulations must be set to ensure timelines are met without damaging the quality of the final product. This can be done by ensuring the understanding of what is expected is clear.
ReplyDeleteCollaboration with groups is a great way to help students understand what is expected from peer groups. This also provide an opportunity for brainstorming for presentation ideas.
The grading process can be simplified by using a a specified rubric that will allow the students to be aware of what is expected and how they would be graded.
We have 49 minute classes, so I can imagine that as I go I will have to adjust what we do each day. I will have clear expectations as to what I want them to accomplish each day. Students that are absent will either have some type of assignment that will do to replace what they missed, or they will need their group to catch them up.
ReplyDeleteSince there are six types of writing they will be broken up into six groups. In my ESl classes this will put 2-3 per group and in my regular classes there will be about 5 per group. They will have a checklist to monitor their behavior and how they are helping the group and I will be walking around asking questions about their learning.
Materials will be a challenge as we do not have this technology to use in our classrooms each day. I think if I have the macbooks for a couple days, use the computer lab a couple days, and take advantage of the library computers it should work. It may just need to be stretched over a period of time to get the project accomplished.
Communicating about the project is so important at the begining. If the kids are confused at the start the project will be very hard for everyon involved. If you put in enough time and effort in planning the project it will be better for all invloved.
ReplyDeleteAttendance for my kids is always an issue. I will have to work on ideas for the kids that have to work alone while their partner is out, as well as some type of makeup work for the student who was out.
Group size can also be an issue. If there are too many kids in a group it always ends up with one or two kids doing all the work while the others just kid around. However, due to limited access to computers, I cannot have to many froups of 2 or 3.
Explaining the project and your expectations for them is key. Communicating the project guidelines and empowering them to take responsibility of their project will help the project flow allowing a more student centered classroom to emerge.
ReplyDeleteThis past year I sent home a note to the parents that was supposed to get signed and returned stating the expectations of the project we were working on in science. Most of the notes got signed, however there were a few that the students neglected to return. While I attempted to send another note home concerning the project, when the child failed for the six weeks (the project was their six weeks grade) the parent called and when I showed copies of both notes they were upset that they never got the notes.
ReplyDeleteCommunication is important, I am going to start emailing notes home to parents this year, not just sending them with the students as well as mailing them.
Attendance is also key. If someone in the group is not there the group can fall behind. They have to have copies of everything in case someone isn't there, so the project can continue. This allows for the others to be successful and the one that is absent to catch up when they return, or continue at home if the discuss the project by email/phone.
The project introduction is important for me because is the way I am going to communicate to the parents what I want them to do and in what way they can help their child to start reading. This is an important part in which I introduce the bilingual program because some parents do not understand that the students must to begin reading in their primary language to serve as foundation for reading in English.
ReplyDeleteThe parent’s collaboration is very important because they reinforce at home what they learn in the school and in this way they contribute with their child’s success.
As most of the children do not have computer at home they have 20 minutes in the classroom to work in Waterford that is a wonderful program to teach literacy in English, provide assessments, activities for acceleration and the teacher can see the student progress and the scores that they got. Also, extra time is provided to explore in other sites like starfall.com, and learning.com
Introducing expectations at the onset of the project is number one. Students have to know what they are to do and how they are to do it. Also letting parents/guardians know what is expected of their child will ensure no confusion when final projects are due and will encourage parents to take an active roll in their child’s work.
ReplyDeleteCollaboration is sometimes and issue. Groups have to be observed and some form for accountability of responsibilities would be helpful. Sometimes you have students who want to be the “leader” and others that will let them. In other words one or two do all the work. Assigning tasks or a peer-evaluation sheet might keep the students on task and working as a group.
The only other issue I was concerned with was the availability of technology. Laptops are not always available and the connections to the Internet are not always reliable. This can cause frustration for the students and the teacher. The improvement of our campuses and technology hopefully will eliminate these problems.
* Grading- My project does not evolve group work but my students will be collaborating/peer reviewing. Each member will be graded on their effort to provide timely and complete comments to their lab group members.
ReplyDeleteIf you do have a group project in mind, I believe allowing the students to choose pre-defined roles is the best way to model professional team structures. Each member will be graded based on the specific rubric associated with her role. If members want to step out of their role to help a team member that is ok. Like my drill sergeant used to say, 'You can delegate authority but not responsibility'.
Timing can by be the key to the success of a lesson or the downfall of a lesson. If you feel rushed, then you lose the important information you planned on sharing, all for the sake of time. I think that this happens to many of us throughout the year. Planning ahead and allowing for "unplanned" interruptions will allow me to get the most out of the lesson.
ReplyDeleteI am happy to say that our campus is finally getting projectors and other technology resources for next school year. I really like the idea of being able to incorporate videos and web browsing into some of my lessons. I also like the idea of being able to have guests. This seems attainable this year because we will not be switching. I can schedule someone for a short time instead of trying to fit them in all day.
The idea of a class blog really opens up being able to collaborate. My students will be able to collaborate with each other as well as other classrooms on campus or even somewhere else in the district or beyond. Having the ability to edit the blog is also appealing to me so I can keep it "clean".
Communicating about the project
ReplyDeleteThe teacher can begin communication about the project by discussing it in the classroom. Then send the brochure about project based learning home for parents and students to read together.
Collaboration
Student will collaborate through out the project in small groups, and through bogging on the teacher project created site.
Grading
Students will be graded using many different tools. They will be graded on how much they use the technology provided and how they respond. The teacher will assess how well they work in groups together. Student will also assess each other using a form that will be provided.
communicating the project: expectations/key tasks/responsibilities
ReplyDelete+ i have developed a project checklist to promote self-montioring
collaboration: managing and monitoring groups
+ i assign each person a task. for example, pairs of students will make powerpoint presentations. since only one person can type, the other person will be responsible for checking the presentation guidelines to ensure all guidelines are met. this person will also write down the website addresses used in research to make a webliography, and is the pair liason to me. this way, monitoring is the responsibility of the students and i can help those with technological problems.
materials: guests
+ i want to invite a community member to speak to the class to give them a personal perspective
Communicating clear expectations and providing checklists and rubrics helps students know what they should do and help keep them on track.
ReplyDeleteUsing collaboration through blogs, group work, and conferences will reinforce students' ideas and the timeline for completing projects.
Using this unit plan perspective should help me implement the new technology available to my students next year.
Project checklists would be good for completion of projects. They will help students monitor and students can clearly see each step they should be working on.
ReplyDeleteAs far as group work and one or two students doing all the work. I would assign job tasks so each student would be responsible for a different task.
When presenting a new project for elementary age students it is important to have an example of the end product and clear step by step directions on how they will accomplish their task. I've learned that I need help the students take ownership of their work by giving them more responsibility in their learning. Providing them with the proper tools such as checklists, journals and access to appropriate websites will help them think for themselves.
ReplyDeleteStudents must have clear concise directions in order to meet the objectives of the unit. If students are able to follow simple, easy to read instuctions, they will feel more comfortable about reaching the goal or objective.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think there are several items that can have an impact. CFQ's are a great way to start your unit. You can get your studtent's attention right from the beginning. I believe assessments during the project are needed to make sure the project it complete. Checklist can be very effective in this process of the project. Finally, I like to end with a KWHL. I believe the "How" is important especially when you are introducing new technology.
ReplyDeleteI believe that group work can be very beneficial in assisting students to stay on task and help trouble shoot any problems they may encounter while progressing through the unit.
ReplyDeleteI still need to flesh out some areas & additional progress in my own technology knowledge and skills is still critical to completing this project to my satisfaction. Grading will have to evolve from paper/pencil assignments to including more focus on 21st century skill, self direction & group work over time (as students progress).
ReplyDeleteKaren P.
didnt find showcasing, so.....
ReplyDeletei am using pair/share, small group and whole group to encourage alot of collaboration models